AREAS OF FOCUS
Cannabis & Hemp – Coastal Property – Commercial Property – Expert Testimony – Mutuals – Product Development and Management – State Filings and Regulatory Compliance
Mark Brannon has been in the actuarial field since 1987. His career includes eight years with State Farm Fire & Casualty Company prior to joining Merlinos. Mr. Brannon’s consulting experience includes:
- Rate and insurance product development for various lines of business, including rate filing preparation and follow-up with state insurance department personnel, as well as expert testimony in rate hearings.
- Developing loss cost and rate factor development for cannabis insurance products.
- Property insurance in Florida, as well as other coastal states, is a primary area of active involvement, including review of pending legislation, public policy advancements regarding loss mitigation, and use of computer simulation models in ratemaking and exposure management.
- Development of rates and rating systems for various lines of business and niche programs on behalf of captives and self-insured companies and municipalities.
- Actuarial review of property/casualty rate filings for a wide variety of lines of business for state insurance departments, including expert testimony on behalf of state insurance departments.
- Analysis of loss and loss adjustment expense reserves for captive insurers, other alternative market entities.
- Assistance with licensing applications for insurance companies and captives.
Prior to joining Merlinos, Mr. Brannon worked eight years for State Farm leading a group of actuaries responsible for all ratemaking activity in nine southeastern states for several lines of business, including:
- Insurance product filings with state insurance departments
- Incorporating the results of hurricane and earthquake computer simulation models into rate filings.
- Expert testimony given in rate hearings in Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina.
- Product development including policy forms, underwriting guides, & rating procedures.
- Strategic planning regarding regulatory, political and industry developments.
- Participated in actuarial committees for several residual market entities.
Mark is a member of the Merlinos & Associates Product Development and Compliance Group. The PDC Group consists of highly respected insurance compliance consultants and analysts experienced in insurance product development and regulatory compliance. The PDC Group specializes in multi-state product releases, SERFF and IRFS filings, bureau monitoring, and regulatory research.