Derek Chapman has been in the actuarial and insurance field since 1999, joining Merlinos in August 2006. His experience includes:
- Assistance on financial examinations for state insurance departments, including risk-based examinations.
- Estimation of required loss and expense reserves for personal and commercial lines insurers, including serving as Appointed Actuary.
- Development of simulation models supporting commutation of excess workers’ compensation reinsurance coverage, loss reserve development, excess loss development, reinsurance adequacy, and surplus adequacy.
- Evaluation of loss reserve adequacy and rate adequacy as part of company acquisitions.
- Analysis of personal and commercial lines insurance rating variables and competitive rate analysis as part of insurance product management.
- Ratemaking and rate filing preparation for personal and commercial property insurers including incorporation of catastrophe model results and assumptions.
- Ratemaking and rate filing preparation for commercial liability lines.
- Rate filing review for state insurance departments.
Prior to entering the property and casualty field, he worked in software engineering for five years and pension consulting for one year. His prior work includes:
- Actuarial valuation of defined benefit plan liabilities and calculation of pension plan benefits.
- Assistance with homeowners insurance form development and filing.
- Design and implementation of multi-tiered software applications for the pharmacy benefits management industry.