There is a unique nature to property insurance work in coastal states, and few firms in the country have as much experience with this specialty as Merlinos & Associates. Our consultants have been involved in the coastal property insurance market since 1987, well before Hurricane Andrew.
Coastal Insurance Carrier Experience
We have provided property ratemaking and reserving services to numerous insurance company clients operating in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Texas.
- Development of programs and rating support acceptable to the coastal state regulators.
- Preparation of quarterly and annual loss and LAE reserve estimates and reports, including Actuarial Statement of Opinion for filing with the Statutory Annual Statement.
- Using computer simulation models in ratemaking, reinsurance treaty analysis, risk management and planning.
- Traditional rate structure analysis (territory, deductibles, etc.).
- Development of new ratemaking techniques that incorporate the latest technologies and data available, while making the results acceptable in rate filings to regulatory agencies.
- Catastrophe Excess of Loss Reinsurance structure analysis.
Coastal Regulatory Experience
We also have worked closely for regulators in Gulf, Northeast, and Pacific coastal states reviewing rate filings of property writers, assisting in the financial examinations of property carriers, and assisting in the supervision of distressed property carriers.
- Providing expert testimony in arbitration hearings and public hearings related to coastal property insurance rate filings.
- After Superstorm Sandy, assisted on target exam for large carrier that writes exclusively coastal property coverage.
- Ratemaking, reserving, catastrophe exposure assistance and analysis, and expert testimony for several coastal property residual market entities, including Louisiana Citizens Property Insurance Corporation, Texas Windstorm Insurance Association, Massachusetts Property Insurance Underwriting Association, and Alabama Insurance Underwriting Association.
- Active participation in state organizations such as the Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund, the Florida Commission on Hurricane Loss Projection Methodology, and the South Carolina Hurricane Expert Panel.
- Provided actuarial assistance in data calls by the South Carolina Department of Insurance and the Mississippi Insurance Department focused on studying and comparing coastal and non-coastal insurance rates and losses.
2022 Florida Property Insurance Special Session
FOR MORE INFORMATION