M&A’s consultants are very familiar with the many facets of the reinsurance industry and their application to both the non-regulatory and the regulatory environments.
- Making recommendations on reinsurance structure for insurance company clients, including decisions on levels and types of reinsurance to purchase as well as share percentages and retentions.
- Working with reinsurance intermediaries to assist in the development of reinsurance programs for various ceding companies.
- Commenting on reinsurance issues in the course of expert testimony.
- Involvement with commutation work for existing clients and companies in receivership.
- As part of our insurance company examinations for regulators, we evaluate reinsurance components as we review the assumptions underlying credits for reinsurance, verify whether assumptions are consistent with reinsurance treaties, and comment on the collectability of ceded reserves.
- Through our forensic accounting and audit support work, we have discovered incorrect rating of large policies and proof that reinsurance contracts do not transfer sufficient risk for reinsurance accounting treatment.
- David Shepherd, one of the principals in our firm, is the former Executive Vice President, Chief Underwriting Officer, and Chief Actuary for a reinsurance Managing General Underwriter, and spent eight years with National Reinsurance as a casualty underwriter and then as a credentialed actuary.